Book Giveaway: In the Eye of the Beholder, by Sharon E Cathcart

When French equestrian Claire Delacroix loses her fiancé in a tragic accident, she comes to live at the Paris Opera during its 1890s heyday. Life is not easy for a woman in fin de siècle France, where her rights are determined by a male guardian. Claire, both intelligent and independent, chafes under the strictures of her time. Whilst working at the opera, she meets a mysterious, masked stranger: Erik. Is it possible that the two of them will heal the pain of each other’s past?

I’m giving away a paperback copy of this book by Sharon E. Cathcart, In The Eye Of The Beholder: A Novel of the Phantom of the Opera, which I enjoyed immensely. Sharon has also sent me an autographed card to include with the giveaway.

What They Say

Jen Knox (whose compelling true story Musical Chairs we’re giving away in another blog post): “I loved Phantom when I was younger, and although the story stuck with me, I had forgotten how much resonated for me about the tale. Sharon Cathcart resurrected this… I was genuinely impressed by this book!”

Historical Romance author Jaimey Grant: “Claire is different than your average romance heroine. She is over thirty, never married, and under the control of a man who does not have her best interests at heart. She rebels against the ‘proper’ behavior expected of her.”

My comment: “If 90% of everything is crap, then this definitely falls within the remaining 10%. If the next book I read has all the characteristics of this one, that would make me very happy. The characters captivated me. And the story dealt with an issue close to my heart, the human need to love and be loved. A theme that (whether Sharon intended it or not) strikes more deeply than the title implies: Not just that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That everyone needs some sympathy with others, in order to survive.”

How to Enter the Giveaway

Leave a comment below, on this post, in order to enter the giveaway. Be sure to enter your email address in the appropriate field below. (It won’t appear on the website, but if you don’t leave me your email, I’ll have no way to verify your entry or to contact you when you’ve won.)

On the morning of Friday, December 17, I’ll select a winner at random. (One entry per unique email address.) I’ll email the winner to find out where to send the book. And if you respond quickly, you’ll probably have it in time for Christmas!

Big Book Giveaway

Check out the other book giveaways from Big Book Giveaway 2010-2011.

Subscribe to this blog for future updates. Or go to my Facebook page and click “Like.” Or follow me on Twitter.

-TimK